FINN(COM) DAILY RECORD: TUESDAY, 14 SEPTEMBER 2004
Compiled by J. Brock (FINN)
14 September 2004 -- New FAO analysis of global data for the last decade shows that on average some 7.3 million tonnes of fish are being thrown back to sea unused each year -- a decrease of about 12 million tonnes from FAO's previous estimate.
In 1996 the UN agency estimated that average annual global fish discards were around 20 million tonnes.
In many places fish production has reached maximum sustainable levels, and for some fisheries discard levels and analysis of fish catch compositions can offer insights into the well-being of remaining stocks.
“Is the decline in discard levels good news or bad news? Perhaps a bit of both,” FAO’s Fisheries Department said in a statement today.
Why the change?
According to FAO, a number of factors underline the shift in discard numbers.
"In some fisheries, countries have implemented measures that aim at reducing incidental by-catch. These include initiatives that improve fishing selectivity to limit catches to only desired species as well as the increased use of by-catch excluder devices or anti-discard regulations," FAO's statement said.
"In effect, these measures have prompted fishing boats to get much better at not catching unwanted species in the first place," FAO explained.
The Organization also noted that fish that in the past would have been thrown away as "trash fish" are today increasingly being kept on-board and used.
"What is difficult is to know just how much of the approximately 12 million tonnes no longer being discarded is due to greater selectivity, versus how much of it comes from the fact that processing has improved and a larger proportion of catches are being effectively used," said FAO. "Or do we simply now have much better data on selectivity and discards than before?"
Where have all the discards gone?
With fewer fish being wasted and being used instead, one could expect the overall level of fish landings to have increased -- but this hasn't happened. In general, global fish landings have been stable in recent years, FAO figures show.
"The fact that we are seeing less waste is good news. But is this good news about discards masking some bad news too? Has increased use of previously discarded fish masked a decline in captures of conventional stocks? And how do natural fluctuations in fish abundance due to climatic conditions and natural lifecycles of fish populations play in? There are still a great many unknowns," FAO's statement said.
As the lead global agency charged with collecting and studying world fisheries statistics, FAO will continue to monitor and analyse the capture production and use data that it receives from governments around the world.
“But improved national monitoring of catches and more detailed reporting of catch composition and fish utilization is needed to get an accurate picture of the situation,” said FAO.
The UN agency also urged all countries to apply the standards and principles contained in the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries in order to reduce waste in fisheries.
Contact:
George Kourous
FAO Information Officer
(+39) 06 570 53168
SCULPTURES:
Stanley could soon be enjoying a new series of sculptures on a cosmic theme installed by Rob Yessel. Rob has created a series of sculptures of every planet in the solar system, along with the sun and is hoping to have them installed at sites in Stanley by the time the tourist season kicks off. They are one billionth of the size of the real things and will be spaced out on a scale of the real solar system, with the sun at the 1914 Battle Memorial and Pluto on Mr. Tumbledown. As well as being of Artistic interest, Rob says he hopes they will also have an educational value for the Islands’ young people.
WAXING BELOW THE WAIST:
Five servicemen from Hillside are going through one of the most painful procedures known to man in the name of charity. No, not childbirth but waxing. Corporals, Daz Parker and Niel Stathan came into the Studio yesterday to tell me how they in tend to raise money for KEMH.
SG: Are you getting sponsorship for this?
Voice 1: We visited local pubs and shops and put forms around Stanley.
Voice 2: We just basically are doing this over the weekend. Major Brennon has sponsored us generously thus far.
Voice 1: As of 1000 today we raised just about £200.00. We are raising money for the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital to help purchase three new trolleys. I think they cost £300.00 each. We have a backer at MPC who says whatever we raise, he will match it.
SG: Anyone who wants to find out more or to sponsor them, you can call them on 22294 or 22296.
FIDB:
The Falkland Islands Development Board met at 0900 today in the Chamber of Commerce. Members agreed a request to allocate £48,000.00 for appointing Scottish Company, Nautilus Consultants. The money would come out of £200,000.00 that was allocated for the Aquaculture budget this year. They hope to carry out a study into the viability of exporting mussels. Members discussed who would have access to the study because it is funded by FIDC the public are likely to have access to outline results and interested individuals would be able to pay for a more detailed report at a suggested price of £400.00. This money would then go towards the cost of funding the Nautilus proposal. Mike Summers expressed concern about the possible biological risks the proposal may present. Julian Morris said his initial concern was that the project made sense financially. He added that if an aquaculture industry was established in the Islands, it is likely to need more scientific monitoring than had been anticipated. FIDB also agreed to spend £25,000.00 out of the next 2004/2005 budget for a place at the Boston Seafood exhibition in March next year. Although this was approved, the Board expect a reduction in the total cost. Various fishing companies had donated £18,000.00 towards the stand and on-going management costs involved. The expenditure will include set-up costs and minor alterations to the generic Falkland Islands Exhibition Stand, which is currently under the care of Fusha Exhibition Services, who take care of storage, transportation and any alterations that may be required. The stand was originally designed by Hamish Wyley and Connie Stevens and a paper to the Board described it as a very popular asset and has already been used on several occasions this year.
COURT NEWS:
Lee Hazel pleaded guilty to drink driving, driving without insurance and taking a vehicle without consent this morning. JPs Andy Brownlee, John Fowler, and Marj McPhee adjourned the case until the 29th of September for pre-sentencing reports. Crown Prosecutor, Ros Cheek, told the Court that Police had been notified around 1830 on Saturday that Miss Hazell had been drinking in Stanley and was believed to be driving to Surf Bay. A mobile patrol found the white Suzuki Jeep on its roof in a ditch at the Surf Bay corner of the Airport Road. Miss Hazell and her passenger were still inside with the engine running. A passer-by stopped to help the Police free them from the vehicle and Miss Hazell gave them a roadside breath test. After receiving hospital treatment, she went to the Police Station for further tests, giving a reading of 70mg of alcohol per 100ml of breath. On further investigation, Police discovered that the vehicle was a Government Jeep, which was therefore not insured for social use. Miss Hazell, who was not represented in Court, apologised to JPs adding that it was a stupid thing to do. She was bailed on the condition that she not drive before the next Court hearing.
HUNG, DRAWN AND QUARTERED:
MPA featured on Tuesday evening’s BFBS Hung, Drawn and Quartered Programme at 1745. It features the recording made earlier this year when the team visited MPA to overhaul the WRVS Lounge. Another make-over, carried out in the Helicopter Lounge, is due to be shown later in the series.
(100X Transcription Service)
